Pyukhtitsa is a holy place. In the 16th century, Estonian shepherds witnessed the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. At the place of its appearance, near an oak tree, the peasants found an icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God, now it is in the Dormition Cathedral of the Pukhtitsky Monastery. I will tell the history of the monastery and the acquisition of the icon, explain local customs and rules. You will also learn about the indigenous people and religion of Estonia, about life in the monastery. Individual excursion for 1-3 people Duration 7.5 hours Children Allowed with children How it goes By car € 190 per excursion Price for 1-3 people, regardless of the number of participants
- On the way to the monastery, I will talk about Estonia, about its division into counties, about the indigenous people - Estonians, about the life of ordinary Estonian peasants: about their traditions, food (for example, how bread was baked without a pipe), hard work, about the type of housing and other things.
- You will also learn about the religion of our country: about paganism, which was in the beginning, about Catholics-Lutherans, about how Orthodoxy came to the country and about its main ascetics in Estonia.
- You will see all five churches of the Pukhtitsa Monastery. He has a dramatic story - I will definitely tell it. Now there is a monastery under the leadership of Abbess Filareta, and about 120 nuns and novices live in the monastery. You will learn how the monastery was built, how it was rebuilt, about the monastery charter, about the abbots of the past and present, about the monastery life.
- I will also tell you about the great Patriarch of All Russia Alexy the Second, who was born in Estonia - another person who unites our country with Russia. Thanks to him, the Pyukhtitsa Monastery was not closed during the USSR. “The meaning of a person's life is in his personal improvement, so that over the years he becomes better, kinder. And he sowed the eternal, good in the hearts of people "(Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II)
- Below, at the foot of the mountain, on which the Virgin Mary appeared to the shepherds, the Holy Spring began to beat. In warm weather, you can swim in it. You will also see an oak tree, next to which an icon was found.
As a result, you will discover a significant religious center of Estonia, learn about the religion and the indigenous population of the country, understand the peculiarities of peasant and monastic life, get acquainted with the fate and influence of the Patriarch of Russia Alexy II in Estonia.
The distance from Tallinn to the monastery is 190 km. Let's go in my car. If there are more than three of you, you can rent transport for an additional fee.
The meeting point is by agreement with the guide, you can discuss it when ordering an excursion.