The Vienna Woods is the most beautiful corner of Austria with a special cultural and natural landscape. Since 2005, it has been included in the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves Individual excursion for 1-6 people Duration 4 hours Children Allow with children How it goes By car Rating 4.67 from 3 reviews € 250 per excursion Price for 1-6 people, regardless of the number of participants
What awaits you
A trip to the fairy forest:
- the ancestral castle of the princes of Liechtenstein, which has preserved the 900-year history of the family. This is not a museum in the traditional sense, but at the same time a place with a unique atmosphere, and one of the most beautiful views of Vienna opens up from the castle tower. The filming of the Hollywood blockbuster "The Three Musketeers" and the Austrian TV series "Commissioner Rex" were held here;
- underground lake Seegrote, the largest in Europe: 200 sq m (6200 versus 6000) more than the largest natural lake Saint-Leonard in Switzerland. A boat trip is possible if desired. The shooting of The Three Musketeers was also carried out here;
- the Abbey of the Holy Cross (Heiligenkreuz), the mystical heart of the Vienna Woods and the oldest Cistercian monastery in the world, which has never been closed since its foundation. Since 1133, the brethren of the monastery have been conducting divine services seven times a day every day. In 1188 Leopold V of the Babenberg dynasty gave the monastery a particle of the Holy Cross, which is the largest in Europe, lying north of the Alps. The Assembly Hall, or the Capital Hall, is one of the most important burial places of the rulers of Austria.
- hunting lodge of the Habsburg emperors in Mayerling. Mayerling Castle became infamous after the double suicide of the Austro-Hungarian Crown Prince Rudolph and his mistress, Baroness Maria von Vecher. Rudolph's father, Emperor Franz Joseph, orders to build a church in Mayerling, directly on the spot where the crown prince's bedroom was, and its altar is on the site of the bed on which the lovers were shot. The church was placed in the care of the Carmelites of the Franciscan monastic order. Now, in addition to the church, the Mayerling memorial complex includes a hospital, a museum and other premises belonging to nuns.
- resort Baden, 26 km south of Vienna. A land of winemakers and hot springs, elegant and sun-spoiled, invites you to enjoy music and shopping. It was once the summer residence of the Kaiser, and today Baden is known for its healing sulfuric hot springs far beyond Austria. In the guest books you will find the names of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven. A walk through the Kurpark, the green oasis of Baden, beckons to relax and stay here longer. Or you can try your luck at the fabulous "Grand Casino" or at the international horse races at the hippodrome. St-Laurent, Zweigelt and Blauer Portugieser wines are gaining strength and density here that, together with softness and fruity taste, it is rare.
- A car is required for the excursion. If you prefer to travel in your (rented) car, we can meet at the agreed place where the tour will begin. Or I can help arrange transfers for the entire route.
- Transport is paid separately, depending on the number of people.
- Entrance fees, meals and boat trips are to be paid for locally.
Start of the excursion at the hotel. You will find out the exact meeting point immediately after booking.