On this long walk through the center of Riga - the Old Riga district, the famous Riga boulevards and unique Art Nouveau quarters - you will see and learn how the city has changed over the centuries. We will walk along narrow streets with peculiar names, see the fortress walls, the Powder Tower, the Swedish Gate, the world famous “Three Brothers”, “Cat's House”, the Dome Cathedral, the Town Hall Square, the House of the Blackheads, St. Peter's Church and much more. Individual excursion for 1-10 people Duration 4 hours Children Allowed with children How it goes On foot Rating 4.95 on 56 reviews € 98 per excursion Price for 1-10 people, regardless of the number of participants
- First, we will walk along the ancient streets of the Old Town. I will tell the story of its foundation and life in the Middle Ages. I will show you the Riga monuments that fulfill cherished desires.
- You can drop by one of the cozy Riga cafes to relax and have a cup of coffee.
- Then we will come to Riga boulevards. They say that Riga boulevards are similar to the boulevards of imperial Vienna. But Viennese boulevards are huge and majestic, while Riga boulevards are cozy and charming.
- I’ll tell you about Art Deco, the last imperial style in human history that emerged in the brief era of carefree happiness between the two World Wars. And also what used to be on the site of the Bastion Hill, the National Opera and the Freedom Monument, where the Eighth Wonder of the World bridge is located, why the gas factory looks like a castle, what is the Esplanade, and what exotic trees feel good in Riga's gardens, and other no less interesting stories.
- And now we have imperceptibly approached the quarters where you can tell about the fantasies of Riga architects in the Art Nouveau style and examine the unique, full of symbolism, details of the facades of Mikhail Eisenstein's houses. Screaming women and lions on the rooftops, gorgons - Viennese Art Nouveau. The facade on Elizabetes Street is a clear borrowing from the project of the Leipzig architects. But the ability to place these details and their skillful execution, the ability to create the right "mood" - the face of the house (cheerful or pensive) distinguishes Eisenstein from other authors.
- In our small town, the sculptural decor received a completely different sound. Moreover, the most famous houses are located within several blocks. Today, the "crazy pastry" is held in high esteem: entire generations cannot stop looking at the facades of his houses. Even indigenous people of Riga are sometimes attracted to the quiet street of Albert to proud sphinxes and peacocks, valkyries and lions, frozen against the blue sky.
The meeting point is by agreement with the guide, you can discuss it when ordering the excursion.