After the inhabitants of Königsberg decided in the 19th century that they no longer wanted to live in a fortified city, but wanted to live in a garden city, the defensive wall was destroyed, the city began to grow rapidly, but still needed protection. That is why, far outside the former Konigsberg, a ring of 15 forts called "Night featherbed" was built, and I suggest you take an excursion to one of them. Individual excursion for 1–4 people Duration 1.5 hours Children Allowed with children How it goes By car Rating 5 on 6 reviews from2400 rub. for 1-2 people or 1200 rubles. per person if there are more of you
Here you will find out:
- why during the assault on Konigsberg by Soviet troops, all the forts were surrendered without a fight, and only one was seriously injured as a result of fierce battles;
- how the forts and the monument of 1200 guards in the very center of the city are connected;
- why, and most importantly why people still live in one of the forts.
You will see the thickness of the walls of defensive structures of the 19th century, you can compare them with the walls of houses built in the 20th century, penetrate deep into the underground of the fort and come to the surface of the earth in the outer wall, you can climb the perfectly preserved ruins as in childhood and feel a little like discoverers, you will see how the bedrooms, kitchens and toilets were arranged, and also puzzle over the purpose of the unusual shape of the fence!
And you will also understand why 90% of the residents of Kaliningrad, passing every day by this stunning architectural monument, do not even suspect its existence, and even more so about its location, and also why only this year the state finally began to carry out small restoration work on the outskirts of him.
Near the fort there is a small roadside cafe where you can have tea and coffee with a sandwich or cake if you suddenly get cold and hungry, as well as buy a hot sausage for local dogs that live in the area, and, possibly, will accompany and guard you while you explore the area.
- We will reach the fort by car, and then we will go on foot. The entrance to the fort is still free. The limitation on the number of people was made due to the fact that we drive from the starting point of the excursion to the fort in my car. If you can get to the fort on your own, there will be no restrictions.
- The tour lasts 1-1.5 hours, depending on your enthusiasm for this kind of buildings.
- I can pick you up from the center of Kaliningrad or more remote areas (outskirts of Kaliningrad, Zelenogradsk, Svetlogorsk, etc.) - this is possible for an additional fee.
- It is also possible to combine this excursion with excursions around Kaliningrad, the Curonian Spit, as well as the Shaaken Castle.
The meeting point is by agreement with the guide, you can discuss it when ordering the excursion.