This walk is my attempt to immerse you in the world of magical realism of Smolensk. We will follow a non-standard route, in which the past of the city is intertwined with its present: from the fortress wall to the famous deer monument. And on the way, we will penetrate into the Smolensk history, composed of curious coincidences, parallels and vivid insights. Individual excursion for 1-10 people Duration 3 hours Children Possible with children How it goes On foot RUB 2500 per excursion Price for 1-10 people, regardless of the number of participants
What awaits you
Alternative route in Smolensk During the walk, we will try to avoid the classic sightseeing route and go through an alternative route that will open for you the sights of Smolensk, the life of modern Smolyans, and non-tourist corners of the city. In a programme
- Assumption Cathedral in all the splendor of its baroque decor. Let's talk about the disappeared buildings of the 12th century on the Cathedral Hill.
- Eastern section of the fortress wall: look at nine preserved ancient towers among fields, forests and ravines.
- Avraamievsky monastery: in its wall we will find a core stuck in 1812.
- House with a clock, near the walls of which the romantic legend of the sentry will come to life.
- Deer Monument - a favorite of the townspeople, around which traditions have already developed.
- As well as buildings in the style of constructivism, ancient streets, a Lutheran church, a former "church-hostel" and other unobvious places of attraction of the city.
The city through the eyes of Smolyan For me, Smolensk is a place of power, an axis and a city of amazing stories. This is how I will show it to you! During the walk, we will talk about the fate of people and buildings, notice bright details: bricks with brands, stucco moldings, inconspicuous inscriptions and other traces of antiquity that grow through modernity. In addition, as an active participant in the life of Smolensk and a volunteer, I will tell you how they live, what they want and what they achieve, the people of Smolensk, whom I call “urban optimists”.
- Our route will take you through the hills, so comfortable shoes will be your advantage. Also: trousers will be more comfortable than a skirt: on the way we will have several high rises, "vents" in the fortress wall, through which we will crawl.
- Alternative route may be partially impassable due to poor weather conditions
- If you are by car, you can drive one of the sections of the route: this will save you a little energy, but will not greatly affect the walking time
The excursion starts at the Assumption Cathedral. You will find out the exact meeting point immediately after booking.